Kids have great fun doing Papier Mache. In this easy, yet creative project, kids get to create a more polished looking bowl using simple papier mache techniques and some simple decorating ideas.
Using craft paper instead of ordinary newspaper lends the bowl a nice texture and color. Spray painting and further decorating embellishes the bowl for a perfect gift for Mom or Teachers!
- Craft Paper of desired color (we have used pink color)
- Plastic bowl
- Petroleum jelly or any oil (cooking oil will also do)
- Scallop-edged scissors
- An old toothbrush
- Acrylic paints of desired color (we have used red)
- Paint Brush
1. Cut craft paper into 1 inch (approximately) squares.
2. Smear petroleum jelly or oil on the inside of the plastic bowl that you have chosen for the project. Do not smear too much oil or it will result in your craft paper pieces getting soiled.
3. Brush glue on the craft paper pieces and paste them on the oiled bowl till the entire inner surface is covered. Overlap paper pieces to cover any open areas and press down the pieces to remove air bubbles. Make 2-3 more layers of the papers to thicken your paper bowl.
4. Let dry completely. When completely dry, loosen the sides of the bowl with the back of your paint brush. Remove the bowl holding it by edges.
5. Trim the edges of the bowl using scallop-edged scissors. Or use any other decorative-edged scissors that you have. You can also simply trim the edges with an ordinary scissor.
6. Dip an old toothbrush into acrylic paint and remove excess paint. Hold your index finger on the head of the toothbrush and use your thumb to push the toothbrush bristles back to release a fine spray of paint. Spray on some rough paper/old newspaper first to see if the spray is too thick or thin. Cover the inside of the bowl first and let it dry completely before starting to spray-paint the outside.
7. When both the inner and outer surfaces are done and completely dry, dip the paint brush in acrylic paint and paint some simple spirals inside and outside.
The bowl will make a pretty gift for your mother, teacher or friends or for your own table!